Sunday, September 6, 2009

Last night, the world of Mad Men


I was Betty Draper. Sally, my daughter was playing with a neighbor boy who was ten. Sally was only four. The neighbor boy and her were playing a little rough. Then I heard a scream. I looked out and the neighbor boy was lying on the ground. There was blood. His mother and I ran out to them. She was shouting at her husband to call an ambulance. Sally was still screaming. And then, through out all the chaos, the boy started laughing. It had all been a joke. I was extremely upset. I took some soap and shoved it in his mouth as punishment. He spit it back and threw it at my face.

At the same time in New York, Joan, was looking in her mirror, in disbelief that she had slept with Paul Kinsey. She was angry at herself, and annoyed that he would probably tell everyone at work.

Six years later, I am throwing an amazing party. Everyone is there. Joan is with her doctor. Don is...somewhere. Rodger is drunk. Everyone is actually a little drunk. And then I see this 16 year old kid walk in and I shout, "Hey, you, your like 14, get the hell out of my house and out of my party!" He runs out, and I follow him .He turns and I realize he is the neighbor boy. He is holding a huge map of Nebraska that he obviously drew and I say "Your panhandle is too small" He apologizes for crashing my party. I have some soap in my hand just in case. He tells me that he was kicked out of his home and that he has been on his own for about two years. I am extremely suspicious.

But then I'm in a hotel, with his younger brother and sister, looking for his irresponsible mother. I run into a African American bride and her mother. They are complaining about the hotel. They are dressed like they are staring in My Fair Lady, about to go to the races. I admire the sister of the bride's hat, but I move on quickly, looking for the right door. I finally find the suite. There is a mirror and I quickly try to adjust my outfit, I look a mess! I walk in and see a Christmas tree. A man and a woman are in bed. The two younger children are waiting in the hall. I ask what the hell do they think they are doing. It turns out that the mother re married. Her new husband has a cane. I berate her and her ability as a mother. Why would you let two young children out of your sight. AND, I say very loudly, your teenage son is wandering the streets alone. How could you kick him out, I demand to know. But answers are not found.

And then Peggy is in a restaurant with a boy who is simply trying to sleep with her by telling her some made up sob story. Is this the neighbor boy?

No comments:

Post a Comment