Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Two Nights ago, Star Trek...again

I was on a new enterprise. State of the art in every way, the ship's computing system was close to being an A.I. Out on our voyage, we were attacked by...I can't rightly say but they were out to kill all the inhabitants of the ship and steal the technology aboard. The commanding crew was kept in a separate room. We were being lead away into a holding cell when I had this idea. The deck that controlled the computing system was classified; no one on board except those in command had seen it. But I felt like I had been there before, like in a dream. It was like the ship was urging me to find it. So I broke away and hid, buying time until I could make a run to that locked off deck. The commanding crew (Picard, Data, the lot) were being met with violence. Their captors were leading them to the computing system dock. It seems that their plans were even more horrendous than just killing everyone on board. They had eyes to rule the universe. 

The ship it turns out was carrying something very special and very powerful. Picard was forced to open the doors to the deck, and I, with stealth, followed them. It was a huge empty egg shelled room, dark grey and silver. In the middle it looked like there was a pool. But when you peered in, you realized it was the interface to the computing system. I made a dash for it and jumped in, surprising everyone with my presence. It was like being underwater, but I could breathe, and there was information stored in units that were floating in space, I could touch them and they would spin, like silver disks. I knew instinctively how to operate this system. And the system, for the time being, wasn't allowing anyone else in. I realized that the enemy wasn't far behind. I had to find a way to dislodge their ship form ours and destroy it. But the feeling of weightlessness, of calm, even though danger was above, this sense of belonging was almost overwhelming. 

I moved easily through the blackness and went deeper and deeper, being drawn to something in the darkness. But then there was a red light, and it grew brighter and brighter. It looked like I was close to a whole galaxy, red and orange, glowing like a fire. I could see stars and solar systems. And near this sight, there was a perfect black sphere. I knew it to be concentrated dark matter, something incredibly powerful and mysterious. It was like the computer allowed me to glimpse it. Because just then, the other had broken through the surface, there was a fight above. Data, who had been injured earlier but repaired haphazardly by Jordy, was desperately trying to prevent the enemy entering the pool. I had to act fast, and I did. I was able to dislodge their ship and destroy it. I was able to unlock all the holding cells and neutralize the enemy's weapons. We defeated them.

1 comment:

  1. I have a question -- in the dream, as the enemies are closing in on you, as you need to use the computer system to destroy the enemy ships, do you sincerely feel the fate of the universe is in your hands? Were you terrified that the aliens might win and your entire way of life would be forever destroyed?

    Or does it seem more routine, like you do this sort of thing all the time? That is, does it seem like its enevitible that you will be victorious, just like the Star Trek crew always manages to win in the end?

    ReplyDelete